• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Best option to feed a horizontal intake/cold air sump

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My long parked Pitts will need an engine rebuild along with everything else. I'm trying to come up with a plan of attack.

Rebuilding the PS-5C carb looks like a poor choice compared to:
1) Fuel injection (Silverhawk or Airflow Performance), or
2) TBI (throttle body, currently only Rotec).

A cold air sump looks good for the weight and performance gains, and they have a forward facing, horizontal intake.

Fuel injection appears heavier than a TBI, and costs $3-4K. That said, its the most popular choice for people running cold air sumps, judging by this forum, and obviously works well.

The Rotec TBI is about $850. I haven't been able to find anybody here running one in front of a cold air sump, however. Folks discussed it, but not the finished product. I'm curious if anybody has achieved good results with a Rotec TBI on a horizontal intake.

So is anybody here running that set up?

If so:
What type of intake solution was used? Air filter?
Carb heat?
Direct ram air pressure?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back