• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

BI curious probably a worn out phrase in this forum Help please

flybi

Reaction score
Hey just signed up tonight at the recommendation of a friend who is also on the site.
I currently have owned a 182 for about ten years. The myth of the family trip has run its course and with two kids and wife with schedules that require hard departure and arrival dates......well small aircraft aren't made to adhere to absolute "gotta be there no matter what"

So time to look at something fun and different. I'm 600 hr pilot most in light single. No aerobatic training,but have urge to try the milder stuff for now.

I'm torn between a Citabria, Skybolt, and Starduster Two. Must have two seats and 150hp for the citabria and at least 180HP for bolt or Duster.

You guys are the experts. Given what little I've posted I am more than ready to listen to what you guys have to say.
Waiting to hear,
D

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion:

Citabria...great airplane, good gentlemans mount.
Skybolt...well, I'm kinda biased. Great airplane, probably do anything you want till you move up to advanced, and might make a reasonable showing there in the right hands. But, it'll be a Sunday flier too if that's all you want. (I have a placard in mine, "Straight and level Flight Prohibited)
Starduster...don't know too much other than what I've seen here and other forums. Good airplane, but not a serious aero mount.

None are hard to fly or land.

Welcome to the forum!!

Last edited:

christopher

Reaction score
Welcome! ALL THREE! :D Decisions... blah! Who needs em? I lean towards the Bolt or the Duster, but the Citri is cool too! Have You looked at a Hyperbipe? They are sleek! Best Wishes!

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just talked with an airline Captain that said the Marquart is the best of the bunch...i will fly the Acro to Poplar Grove after test phase is done and beg Glenn for a ride.
Dennis in Chicago

freerangequark

Mostly harmless.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just talked with an airline Captain that said the Marquart is the best of the bunch...i will fly the Acro to Poplar Grove after test phase is done and beg Glenn for a ride.
Dennis in Chicago

No need to beg Dennis :D

The Marquart Charger is a wonderful flying machine. Flies and lands as easily as a Decathlon. It isn't the aerobatic platform that say a Skybolt or an Acro II is (mine doesn't even have inverted systems)... but it never fails to bring smiles to all the people I take flying with me. Think relaxed barnstormer of yesteryear type of aerobatics.

BTW, What radius do you have on your Phase I flyoff? 25NM?

-Glenn

Last edited:

flybi

Reaction score
I'm not sure just how much acro I'll be doing. Owning a 182 all these years,I really didn't get much past the usual commercial maneuvers but I'd like the capability built into the plane. I start my tailwheel endorsement training and some acro training today.
My question is that the Starduster Too information doesn't really refer to it as aerobatic,although the descriptions certainly allude to the fact that it is strong enough,whereas the skybolt and the citabria are pretty straight forward about the planes designed intent.
Any thoughts?

toobuilder

Reaction score
I was a 400 hr pilot once and I was in a similar position. I needed something significantly faster than the Cardinal I was flying for my weekend trips with the wife, but also needed aerobatic capability for my budding desire to light my hair on fire when I wanted to. I selected the Hiperbipe as my "do it all" mount and never regretted it. It was the perfect airplane for my mission. They are pretty rare these days, but mine is currently available for sale (my "mission" has changed).

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, What radius do you have on your Phase I flyoff? 25NM?

-Glenn[/QUOTE]
Glenn,
The FAA gave me 25 nm but i have given me only 1/2 nm so far (4 hrs tach time).
i am getting beat up by the wind and need to change the windshield and i have that funky no return, no breakout force on the stick for the first small aileron deflections.
i tufted the ailerons on the last flight and it looked so good i did not bother to video it.
i am going to try setting the top ailerons 1/4" high and see if that corrects it. Also had first broken part at 4 hrs, the exhaust hanger bolt tab cracked.
Dennis in Chicago
PS; my son, Dom who works at UAL knows some Poplar Grove people.

darylat8750

Reaction score
A few questions:

Where do you live? An open cockpit is grand in the souther tier, not so much in Wyoming.

How big are you and the most common passenger?

How many hours a year do you expect to fly?

Citabria is a fine airplane. Comfortable and some baggage room.

Skybolt is my favorite of the airplanes you mention.

If you can deal with the looks, there are a couple of Hiperbipes for sale now. This would be a big step up in performance and cool factor over the Citabria. Better value for the money too. I've been lusting for one of these since I flew one 15 years ago. The Citabria feels a little roomier to me but that may be related to visibility.

The Starduster will do any acro that a KCAB will do. One of the prettiest designs in my opinion. Ditto for the Marquart Charger. The MCharger is the easiest to land of all mentioned biplanes.

Welcome aboard.

toobuilder

Reaction score
...If you can deal with the looks, there are a couple of Hiperbipes for sale now...
Ouch! :D

But, yes, the HB is "distinctive"....

I fully agree that the mission will dictate the purchase more than anything. I personally feel the 'Too is the sexiest looking airplane around, and I am a fan (hence, my screen name). So if you're looking for the Summer evening flights going nowhere in particular, all of the listed airplanes will work. Pick based upon emotion and value. However, coming out of a 182, I'm guessing that some level of utility is still desired. If this is the case, then speed, payload, range, comfort and aerobatic performance are all in play. Define the mission requirements and the choices get much clearer.

Latest posts