• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

bi-plane

kenneth496

Reaction score
Hi,my father passed away and I have a bi-plane that he built and I have the engine not in plane and the metal propler and other parts to this bi-plane.Could anyone tell me what I should be selling these for.Thanks

Beej

Creator of this place
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Ken, you will need to post lots more details in order to get a good answer. Plane type? engine make, etc

kenneth496

Reaction score
Hi I have a bi-plane that was my fathers he passed away I have the engine not in plane a metal propler not on plane and other parts to the plane,the plane has the body wheels and top wings i have but not on plane can anyone tell me how to sell this and what i should ask for it.Thanks

kenneth496

Reaction score
I do not know about planes other than my dad built three and has this bi-plane and parts so where would I find out what kind of engine this is and thanks for your answer

smutny

Biplane Addict
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Your best bet would be to have someone who understands aircraft put eyes on the project. You can find the closest chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association, a group dedicated to homebuilt aircraft, at this website: http://www.eaa.org/chapters/locator/

I'm sure any chapter would be happy to help you inventory the project and set a fair price for sale.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

Perhaps you could explain as to whether the airplane was once finished and is disassembled or if it is in the construction stages. Perhaps the plans are in the vicinity of the project and they will tell you which design it may be. The engine should have a data plate on it somewhere that would describe the manufacturer and displacement/horsepower. The propeller will have numbers stamped on it as well.

Hopefully their will be a member from this site close enough to take a look at the airplane. Contacting the EAA as mentioned above is good advice.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Edited by: Neil

kenneth496

Reaction score
The plane was all together and my dad flew it.This plane is either a champ or starduster I have photos when it was all together.I could only find one log book he had.

hotrod

Reaction score
My dad passed a well
I have his AS1 that's ready to be covered along with a Lycoming 360c1c Tail # N68TH have no clue what the plane is worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

gotime242

Reaction score
Any chance you could post any picture of it?

Last edited:

hotrod

Reaction score
Pics to come just have to get things in order,what would a plane like this sale for? just trying to get a ideal what to list for

gotime242

Reaction score
Ah, two planes in this thread now with same story...

Both planes would need more specific information regarding engine/airframe details (times...etc) and a decent amount of pictures to be able to give a rough estimate of value.

Check barnstormers.com to see if anything similar is on there to compare it to.

Reaction score
Could this request get anymore ridiculous ? "Hello....new guy here. I had a biplane fall in my lap. Whats it worth"? Great first post.

TFF1

Reaction score
Projects come down to what you can get for the engine, probably $5-10K and $2-5K for the airframe if it is good. Ready to fly it would be worth $20-30K. Tough when it is not a flyer with all the time that has gone into it. Important details can change the numbers but its probably close.

hotrod

Reaction score
Thanks for the help TFFI this is the first time I've used a blog maybe I did something wrong? Knight Twister to call me ridiculous after the loss of my dad and trying to get a handle on this just asking for some help...

Reaction score
Well I'm sorry you lost your dad. I've lost mine, my mom and my first wife. Your "whats it worth " question had no details. You would be better off looking at ads on barnstormers and guessing from that.

hotrod

Reaction score
It took me 10 yrs to open my dad's hanger and look at his planes. This just happened 2 weeks ago very hard time for me! I'am 61 years old and would love to see this plane in the air some day. Let me say sorry for my statement that's not like me. Have a good weekend.

TxSkyBolt

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hotrod,

Welcome to the forum. Take a look at the 5th post from the top and try to locate you closest EAA chapter. Give them a call and I'm sure someone could help you with inventory, price estimate and getting it listed on Barnstormers or Trade a Plane. Might want to consider donating it to the EAA. Our local chapter had a group of kids build a kit plane. The proceeds from the sale went to the local chapter young eagles program and included a couple scholarships to Air Venture in Oshkosh. It would be a charitable contribution since I believe most are 103 corps.

Where are you located?

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about your Dad. I'm 60 and my Dad died a little over 20 years ago. I was about 5 years into my project and sort of lost interest in it and it has only been in the last few years that I have gained the drive to complete it.

One thing we need to know is where you are. You could have a dream project for someone but if you are on the west coast and the buyer is on the east coast the deal probably won't happen.

If the engine is an IO 360C1C it is very marketable as compared to an O 360, however both are in demand. If it is a rebuildable first run out or if it has been rebuilt makes a large difference in value as well. Does it include a constant speed or fixed pitch propeller? Hopefully there is an engine log book somewhere as that drives the value of the engine.

Was this your Dads first and only build or was he an experienced builder with several airplanes to his credit? How complete is the build. Is it ready to cover or is it simply complete structurally?

These are just a few of the many questions that can cause a huge swing in value. The Acro Sport 1 itself does not usually demand a high value, even complete and flying mostly due to the narrow market for a single seat airplane, but the engine you have is heavily sought after.

Last edited:

hotrod

Reaction score
I just opened my dad's hanger looking for his log? This is a plane that was used in air shows around the Midwest, as he was putting it together, he was friends with the folks in Wisconsin, I would go with my dad to help with the display it was great fun I think my dad I joyed this as much as working on the plane. He just loved talking to people about these home built airplane. This was the only one he built, as leukemia cut his life short,his friend had a Pitts he worked on,when the plane was inspected I remember the inspector tell my dad it was on of the best he had ever inspected, I hope to find the the tags.Thanks

Latest posts