• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Big guy bipe on a budget

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevgofly

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking for suggestions for an aerobatic ride to take me through sportsman, perhaps intermediate (beyond would be even better).

I'm 6'5", currently 237#s (down from 296 for this purpose) and plan to be 225# by the time I'm ready.

Budget, well, as most, I have one, and it's not nearly big enough for my taste, so I'll have to make do. The initial purchase is a concern, but more importantly, the long term operation costs, maintenance and fuel

Would prefer two seat, but open to single for the right money.

Build or buy, well, I'm not opposed to building. I spent the better part of my youth helping my father build an Acro II, it wasn't complete before I left for the military, now 23 years later, I'd love to build my own, but want/need a reasonable time line. I've spent my entire life building RC planes, small to giant, composites, wood, mostly aerobatic stuff, I really enjoy building.

Experience, well, I had a lot of flying time growing up, but it was little more than exposure. I now own a 58 a72 and am an active student, plan to finish my PPL within the next 2-3 months (weather depending, sooner/later). I plan to transition to tailwheel time right away, I have some in a champ already. I'm planning now so I can get an early start without feeling rushed, so (reasonable) time to build something exists.

I guess the highest priorities are a plane I can fit in, reasonably priced to operate. Are Eagles or Pitts out of the question due to size? How about an Acro I or II?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, happy flying to everyone, thanks in advance,
Kev

Latest posts

Back