• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Biplane specs comparison...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benderfesk

Registered Users
Reaction score
...a.k.a. Helping me to choose The One.

Sitrep is like this: I'm thinking of building a plane by myself and I'm in the proccess of determining what I want, can or should build.

What I'd like is to share with you my findings, wishes and thoughts and to get your opinions and advices based on your knowlegde and experience.

My wish is a two-seater open-cockpit biplane, rather slow and enjoyable in flight and relatively easy to build. These are a must. Let me clarify some.
"Two-seater" means not only for two persons but also that the plane is capable of carrying two persons regardles of their weight and to do so comfortably and without being "on the edge". That also means that if I fly with my wife she can take a smaller bag also without (me) worrying if she's carrying lead inside (200lbs + 150lbs without a bag).
"Rather slow" means that I don't want to be spending a lot of money on a big and powerful engine.
"Enjoyable in flight" means I don't want the plane to be too light and behave "kitey" and "nervous" in flight. This - together with all the goodies that come with it - I already have in flying a powered trike (which I enjoy a great deal - not to be misunderstood). I want an airplane that behaves in air as such, no airbikes or anything similar. I'm not even sure whether I want to fit in 1320lbs LSA category.

I know these points aren't going to give me a straightforward answer so please don't go too harsh on me saying I'm looking for impossible. My wishes are somewhat adaptable. I'm merely trying to find the plane that will fit the most to these requirements.

This is going to be my first such project. I am a patient person, I did some scale modeling before and I'm looking for a hobby - not an overnight completed plane. I'd be totally comfortable with it if I found out this to be 5, even 10 years project (which it probably will). I'm looking forward to reading, learning, building parts, rebuilding them and all that comes with it.

Lets skip - for now - questions about my workspace, free time and hand and tools skills. I read some things about this needings and I think I'll manage to decide on me qualifying with these requirements.

Not to make this unnecessarily long, I'd like to ask a few question and hopefully get some input from you guys. Lets start in random order.

Q#1: Should I try to fit into the LSA category? Is there a big complicity difference in building a plane that is slightly larger? Is there any other advantage? For example lets take Hatz Bantam vs CB-1 (Classic is a bit out of my league and something smells funny about Kelly-D, can't put my finger on it.). I have no problem whatsoever in fitting in AB instead of LSA category (according to the laws in my country which are similar to American).

Q#2: What about the plans? Hatz CB-1 is $200, any Fisher Flying Product is twice as much. I read that plans details vary a great deal. Should I quit Hatz in favor of R80 Tiger Moth for example because of this?

Q#3: I know I'm still far away from touching my engine but I have to think about it now too. Will I make my project too complicated and too financially challenged if I decide to go in 100-120hp level (say Continental 0-200 or even R2800) instead of easily found 65-85hp Rotax-kind-of engines? Not only purchase price but also services and fuel consumption. A radial one would be a dream of course but is also not a must.

As I mentioned, I did some research on common types of planes in homebuilding universe and I created this table (which may not be 100% accurate but nevermind) so here is a specs comparison that shows this. Not all of them are biplanes nor two-seaters but this is just for comparison.

specs+comparison.png

big_all.png

Q#4: I didn't mention the beauty of the design because it is not a must but I find Daisy Mae to be very beautiful plane. However I could not find any relevant info or opinion about it. Does anybody have ANY info about it besides the default specs? How does it fly? There seems to enormous difference in landing roll and takeoff distance required comparing it to the others (please see my biplane specs comparison image further down). Should I find this information relevant? Also, if you can, please take a look at those two videos of her taking off and landing on youtube. The question to you guys experienced in flying different models of biplanes: how does her behaviour look to you? Can you make something out of these videos?

Please take a look at the next image. Here you can look how some of my favourite candidates compare to each other. If it weren't for Daisy Mae's takeoff/landing distance difference it would be almost a draw for all four of them.

big4_overall2.png

This can mean only one thing: I have to look at something else than these categories. I guess this is the main reason for this whole post. I'd be very grateful if you guys share any thoughts/advices on these points.

Q#5: I guess this is the most important question of all I'm posting here: the project build complexity! That's again something I cannot just see while browsing the internet so maybe somebody has some info that will help me and any info (especially first hand one) will! How about you first-time-builders (well any builder was a first-time at some point)? What was/is your first project and how challenging was it? How was it compared with a second project (if any)? I guess all those Fisher planes, Bantam and similar ones are easier to build but I'm not sure if I should pass on CB-1-like type of project instead of something lighter...

Q#6: Any similar biplane to CB-1 out there that would fit here? CB-1 kind of stands out a bit here.

This whole subject is really complex and many of questions are not likely to have a unique answer. I am aware of that. Anything you think can help me in this crusade probably will so please share your answers or thoughts! Maybe some planes I haven't included in comparison? This is just to scratch the subject but I have to start somewhere.

Thanks and sorry for lengthy post!

Latest posts

Back