• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Bonehead composites PilotX

wminear

Reaction score
I really like my bonehead pilot X but it was not plug and play like put it on and have fun. The helmet fit great but the earcups were too tight and needed the thinner foam spacers for my big head.

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I really like my bonehead pilot X but it was not plug and play like put it on and have fun. The helmet fit great but the earcups were too tight and needed the thinner foam spacers for my big head.

I don't think any helmet is plug n play if that's the criterion. When I was flying with the Navy it was a constant battle for several flights before the PR shop could get my helmet to fit without hot spots. They used to hand sand the foam to sweeten it up.

RussellGrande

Reaction score
I don't think any helmet is plug n play if that's the criterion. When I was flying with the Navy it was a constant battle for several flights before the PR shop could get my helmet to fit without hot spots. They used to hand sand the foam to sweeten it up.
Then life support comes along and screws it all up again every few months...the struggle is real

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
FYI, while selecting my Bonehead helmet I discovered they only have two size shells. One for S, M and L and one for XL. They aare adjusted with internal liners / pads.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Nice, wish I had room for one but I just tried a pair of DCs I received from Piggy and the bow hits the canopy but my bare head doesn't. So not much room up there. However the DCs will go in the Cherokee so no loss as that was my plan all along.

PS: For what its worth, as you can guess I'm a brain bucket type and like the extra security it provides. Always wore one sky diving even though it was not cool to do so. I had more then one good head contact over 15 years and appreciated the protection the skull cap provided. I will also have a parachute when I start aerobatics even though I have no plans of ever needing it.

Flying Ant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the gel ear cups and memory foam liner it's a different helmet. I used some of the old foam to shim it for a perfect fit.

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'm looking at one too and wondering if I should get gel ear cups? ear cup covers? ANR? any feedback? Thanks guys!

curtis

Curtis
Reaction score
I tried to buy this one but could not get a response from the seller? Apparently his or my PM system is not working.

If anyone has one of these they are selling I would be interested in talking to you.

I have a Clarity Aloft but I think this would be better with the ear cups and the ear buds. Does anyone already have this comparison between the two?

Thanks. Curtis.

Last edited:

curtis

Curtis
Reaction score
Just PM you again. Let me know that it went through.

Thanks.

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I fly my helmet with both ANR and CEP's (like the clarity). It works like nothing else out there. I have flown with just a clarity and its ok but I would go crazy for long periods of time. I have measured my plane in cruise and inside the cockpit its 110 dbA. Both cups with ANR and CEPs cut the noise by amazing amounts. It the same noise reduction or similar to wearing foamies with ANR but not having to turn your radio all the way up to hear it. The intelligibility of radio coms with my combination is amazing.

CAKevin

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I used to think my Clarity Aloft's were great at noise reduction until I got my Bonehead helmet with CEPs which is even better. Now I use the Bonehead for practice because of the GoPro mount but I prefer the CA during contest flights. Specifically when I am trying to tilt my head back while flying inverted watching for the edge marker the CA is much easier with S1S canopy.

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users
Reaction score
Bret, any chance you can post pictures of the ANR unit as well as cables going to/from it? trying to see how bulky it is... thanks!

acropilotbret

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Its just a helmet kit from Headsets Inc. It has a box with 9V battery in it. If you need more we can start another thread rather than hijack a classified.

Latest posts