• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bottom Cowl "Lip" for Cooling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
High temperatures have been an ongoing issue for me ever since I've had accurate gauges. Back in the good old days when my CHT and EGT always indicated zero I was none the wiser--and happy! A couple of years ago I complained here about my battle with oil temperatures climbing well into the 220's during acro and 190 minimum at cruise. Good ol' Smizo replied with an invite to his compound where he introduced the cowl to a neat little block of wood cut with a notch that he used to bend a lip into bottom of the cowl.

That helped by at least 5 degrees. Later I installed the offending EI CHT gauge and learned that I was suffering from very high CHTs (measured from #3). On a moderate summer day I get 410 in climb, 385 at 2600 RPM cruise and 430+ in acro. You maybe able to see from the (currently sideways) photo that I have a pressure cowl with no exit for the airflow other than a small louver and the opening aft of the louver. That opening is made larger by a rectangular slot cut into the bottom of the fuselage but it is still well short of the 2-1 ratio with the inlet that seems to be accepted for proper airflow.

Newly indoctrinated Biplane Forum wizard Danny Bond recommended two extra louvers or expanding the opening to match the exit area you might get with an open cowl flap. Joe Flood agreed that that could work but before doing all that cutting, he recommended that I extend the lip (or "dam" if you prefer). That's what I have done here using Lexan. It looks like a windscreen for the little Leprechaun who rides along on the belly.

Weather only allowed a non-acro test flight yesterday and it was inconclusive. Max CHT in climb after some aggressive flying was 412. I will post more after I've had a chance to really fly hard.

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1382.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

Latest posts

Back