• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Bought the Skybolt Plans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannabeagpilot

Reaction score
I figured I'd take the time to introduce myself and maybe get a couple of questions answered at the same time.

First, a little about me. I've been an automotive technician and a Class 8 truck technician my entire professional career. I've recently started an endeavor into becoming a spray pilot and am about to finish my private license then move into inst, comm and then go to a 137 school in Georgia. In my time involved, I was recently turned onto experimental and homebuilt aircraft through a flyin with the local EAA chapter. I was looking at the planes involved and everybody was building a Vans. I'm far from a herd follower and decided on another route. I've always loved the lines of biplanes. After doing so serious consideration. (See begging rides) I decided on the Steen Skybolt. (I'm too big to fit in a Pitts comfortably). I just got my plans the other day, and am about to begin on wing construction.

I figured I had better add this in. I am a welder and have good experience running a Tig, but have limited experience with 4130. Wood working will not be too big of an issue, as my father and I both enjoy woodworking.

My main question right now involves the nose ribs. I can't find any specs in my plans or instructions for what kind of Birch to use. I can get either the laminate that is birch veneer with a basswood filler or a true ply that is birch faced on both sides. I also found the same woods in Aircraft Spruce, but have no idea on which one to go with. Any suggestions? Drawbacks or advantages to either choice?

Latest posts

Back