• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Brake line material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybolt31

Registered Users
Reaction score
I was going to fabricate some new brake lines to go from the fuselage down the gear leg to the brakes and was not sure of the grade of aluminum to use. At ACS they have three options

A. 2024T3 ROUND DRAWN which is $4.50/ft for 1/4"

B. 3003-O VERSATUBE which is $0.47/ft for 1/4" and the description says Soft aluminum tubing for instrument air and vacuum lines, fuel and oil lines, and primer lines

C. 5052-O ALUMINUM TUBING which is $4.80 for .049 wall and $1.56 for .035 wall and the description says Rigid 5052-0 aluminum alloy tubing is used for low and medium pressure hydraulic systems, fuel lines and oil lines. This tubing will withstand a higher pressure than 3003-0 tubing.

The price is not really an issue, but I think the 3003 would be easier to form, but the 5052 would probably withstand higher pressure. I am not sure if the higher pressure capability is necessary though. Any thoughts or bad experiences?

Latest posts

Back