• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Budd Said You Will Spend Money

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jconard27

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found myself nearing 50 years old, and having dreamed of flying with Budd since the first time I read one of his pireps, I had a sudden unexpected clear week in my calendar. Equally unexpected, Budd had a clear week in the middle of a full calendar.

After a few exchanges he told me that if I flew a Pitts I would end up spending money on one. At the time I was a twin comanche driver with a few hundred hours of Citabria / Decathlon time and one RV-7 build.

The flying was everything you might imagine, from exhilarating to embarrassing. Budd also helped me get a 30 minute visit with Pete at the Pitts Flying Museum. Afterward he offered great counsel as I searched for a plane. I looked long and hard at a beautiful S-2B locally. In the end, though, I chose a simple lightweight S-1S that had been owned and maintained by Andy Ernewein. It was originally an experimental amateur aircraft before it went to Canada.

My friends Stein and Jed at Steinair agreed to let me use their hangar to disassemble, and inspect the plane when it was re-imported. Finally, the great Mel Asberry (Ask a DAR) came to inspect the newly re-named N27TU. So, it is great to meet all of you.

Mel .jpg
Tail.jpg
Inspection.jpg

Latest posts

Back