• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Building engine mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marl

Reaction score
Ok---I've hit a snag.

Started building a jig for a new engine mount (Starduster Too, O-320-B, conical mount, 26 inches from firewall to face of mounts). Have the firewall end of things done---now gotta get the mount points for the bisquits of the mount in the right place. Have confused myself to the point that I'm asking for help to get thru this.

I understand that the center of the prop flange needs to be on the centerline of the plane, 6 inches below the mount spools centerline. The rear of the engine needs to be offset to make the thrustline 1 1/2 degrees right and 1 1/2 degrees down. How do I figure this out?

Was thinking of making a "dummy" engine---mountpoints and shaft for centerline of crank---use that to set the offset and drop, then build jig off the rear to join with the jig from the firewall forward.

UUUUGGGGHHHH!

Latest posts

Back