Bulkhead fitting

Discussion in 'Lycoming & Continental' started by Randy, Feb 2, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 2, 2018 #1

Randy

Randy

Randy

Supporting Member Supporting Member

It is much more enjoyable to answer "stupid" questions than to have to ask them but I give up, I have looked for two days on the webb for fittings and found nothing :(
    I have to extend both the tank and gascolator drains through the bottom belly skin. I have been looking for a 1/2" tube to 1/4" npt and a 1/8" tube to 1/8" npt bulkhead fittings. If found both of these fittings would require using an internal threaded sleeve to attach the drain valves. I would like to use solid compression tube fittings but at this point I would accept flexible tube and radiator clamps as a last resort :(
    I have found these fittings with compression threads on both ends but I am not going to use a cap for a drain !!
    I know I am far from the first that has needed to do this so what fittings did you guys use ?
    Or, am I going totally in the wrong direction, in which case - double :(:(
    Thank you for your help,

2. Feb 2, 2018 #2

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Something like this Randy?

S-2A Fuel System, Parts.JPG

3. Feb 2, 2018 #3

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

What you might want to do is call an aircraft salvage yard and ask for a Cessna wing tank quick drain adapter plate assembly. May be part number 1209053-2, but they will likely just recognize the description. Includes anchor nuts that allows it to be fastened to a sheet metal skin with machine screws and a tube and hose clamp go over the inside "nipple". Take a look at a local C-150/152.

I am sure that there is an equivalent Piper part in the salvage yards too.

Best of luck,

Wes

4. Feb 2, 2018 #4

Randy

Randy

Randy

Wes, good suggestion, I will let this thread run a bit and see what else pops up first.

Bill, highlighted item #6 looks like something I could use, especially if it comes in useable sizes. Now, stop teasing me and tell me where to find this 'stealth' item ?
    Thank you,

P.S. sometimes, considering how quickly questions get answered here, I get the feeling some of you guys have nothing better to do than set at your computers and wait for questions to answer :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    will moffitt likes this.
  5. Feb 2, 2018 #5

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

6. Feb 2, 2018 #6

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Randy, is this what you are looking for? If so I can make you one for postage? Essentially it is made from aluminum pipe nipples from Mc Master and Carr using either an 1/8" or 1/4" pipe nipple with a round piece of .050 alum skip welded to it. The flange is then drilled and riveted to the bottom sheet metal as made, it allows an tube and pipe fittings to be installed in one end, and either a 1/4 or 1/8" quick drain at the other. Dave

DSC00633 small.jpg

DSC00634 small.jpg

DSC00636 small.jpg

DSC00638 small.jpg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  7. Feb 2, 2018 #7

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

Like Wes said. I don't remember if these are mounted on a curved panel or a flat one. I'll check next time I'm at the hangar.

I'd just fabricate them if it was me.

8. Feb 3, 2018 #8

Randy

Randy

Randy

"I'd just fabricate them if it was me."
    I like this idea best as I like to make my own parts. Problem is I have never welded alum. and at this stage of the game it isn't worth learning.

"is this what you are looking for? If so I can make you one for postage?"
    Best offer of the day :) Dave, I will accept your offer on the condition you adjust your selling price to at least enough to take your wife out for a burger and a beer. I will PM you.

Thank you all for the good advice. I am sure I am not the only one you have helped today

9. Feb 4, 2018 #9

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Randy where the heck is Nashville MI? Been to Luddington Pontiac Brighton Bay City and Port Huron, all with my Starduster, even flew it across Lake MI twice and having my sanity questioned numerous times for doing so! But it ran from Oregon to Oshkosh about 1700 miles, so thought it would probably run another 80 miles!

Randy, you and Beej did a lot on the Skybolt builders manual early on, and also posted the history on the prowler so this helps make that a little less of a job?
    As for the fittings I had to make one for my SA-100 so making two more didn't take much longer, as I had the stuff to do so. The alum nipple packages are from Mc Master-Carr are about $ 2.50 ea, sold in packages of 5 that. and a little .050 sheet metal hole saw step drill alum tig welds, and WA-La. If going on a curved surface you will have to bend them slightly to fit the contour and it takes about 4 1/8" rivets. Dave

SAM_3209 small.jpg

SAM_3210 small.jpg

SAM_3211 small.jpg

SAM_3212 small.jpg

SAM_3213 small.jpg

SAM_3214 small.jpg

SAM_3215 small.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Dennis Flamini likes this.
  10. Feb 4, 2018 #10

Randy

Randy

Randy

Dave, Nashville MI. is 40 miles south of Grand Rapids, 20 miles north of Battle Creek and 30 miles southwest of Lansing. A very small map dot on M66. Drivers are required to slow to 35 mph for approx. 40 seconds then resume full speed ahead. If you plan to land here you will have your choice of whichever bean or corn field you want.
    Flying across the "inland sea" at high altitude in a plane with a good glide ratio would probably be OK. In a biplane - not so much. I might do it at the northern end of the lake which has several islands enroute. Scenery is much better there too :)
    Your fittings look great, can't wait to find them in my mailbox :) :)
    Thank you,

11. Feb 5, 2018 #11

HazzMatt

HazzMatt

HazzMatt

12. Feb 13, 2018 #12

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

I had the same problem searching for this. I couldn’t find a solution so i had a friend spin one up on the lathe. Ill get a pic of it tomorrow.

13. Feb 13, 2018 #13

Randy

Randy

Randy

I watch Dave's posts and wonder where he ever finds time to build an aircraft? He seems to be constantly answering all our questions, posting build photo's, historical photo's - - when does this man sleep ???
    He sent me two fittings a couple days ago that fit the bill exactly. Excellent quality, excellent price, excellent service - - all as a favor. For that I thank him very much.
    I am thinking the only thing the man doesn't know is where the h--l is Nashville Michigan ? :)
    Thank you Dave, a pleasure to deal with you.

14. Feb 13, 2018 #14

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I had the same issue. I couldn't believe that something wasn't available off the shelf. I ended up making my own deal. I designed it to not attach to the sheet metal itself, so removing the sheet metal for maintenance is not a pain.

2.jpg

15. Feb 13, 2018 #15

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

cwilliamrose

I agree Beej, that makes more sense to me than attaching it to a large sheet metal panel that is subject to removal. Filed away for future reference..........

16. Feb 13, 2018 #16

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well I have not found this to be a problem as my quick drain is mounted on a small panel, and is in the same place on my airplane and son Dan's. All of our sheet metal can be easily removed for annual inspections with the exception of this small panel, even the bungee cords can be changed without removing it either. Dave

DSC18886small.JPG

SAM_3218 small.jpg

17. Feb 13, 2018 #17

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

lanceav8r

Here is what i did. I had my guy make this up. No w i just found that Aviat has this part for sale off the shelf.

63447F33-13ED-4110-9059-1FFA99513AB3.jpg

B923D0E5-C5CD-4873-87C7-C677DD857044.jpg

AFF681B3-2A76-44EA-8ADC-F1A638D0083B.jpg

4EE640D0-E59A-46C3-AD3B-18BCCC0CA92D.jpg

18. Feb 13, 2018 #18

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Randy I get about 8 hrs of sleep a night, and now that I know where Nashville MI is I am good, always thought it was in TN. Didn't do much over this last week end, attended FAA safety Seminar at Independence OR on Sat, and some NASCAR on Sun tried to do a little clean up in my computer room. My house is falling apart, and whats the old story how did the old pilot get killed? Well not in an airplane he fell off his roof trying to clean and fix the gutters!

The roof is not the place for old guys, at least that is what I tell my sweetheart, who I will be taking out for dinner tomorrow Feb 14 Valentines Day, married a wonderful girl, went with me to Oshkosh 5 of the 9 times and that was in my Starduster, we had a great time!

I usually work on my SA-100 about 3 to 5 hrs a day but not always, its been really cold the last several days, and is suppose to be colder yet, maybe snow this next week, have spent more on heating my shop lately than on my airplane, been working out of my stash and junk box for so long its culture shock when I have to buy something from A/C Spruce and pay current prices!

The nut plates kicked my A****s this last week or so but finally got most all c/s riveted and installed along with fitting all of the sheet metal that now needs only primer and paint, only a few more nut plates to do on the nose bowl.

Yes I would rather be working on my airplane than on here answering questions, but I had some good mentors that helped me back in the day. That said when I wanted to pay them, to just pass what you learned along as that would be payment enough! I bemoan the fact occasionally that so much of what I have learned will end with me, so to help others here is a plus, in that respect.

It is my goal to help others, mostly so they will not get hurt physically or financially. I also do quite a bit behind the scene when it comes to advice regarding other airplanes for sale mostly Stardusters.

Well Randy it is a pleasure to deal with you as well as everyone on this site, as I see it The Biplane Forum is the last vestige of true home builders ones that still work from plans and actually make part,s and an airplane from bulk material. An art and science that just few, are up for the challenge these days.. Dave

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    will moffitt likes this.