• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Burnt exhaust valve, Need professional advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtis

Curtis
Reaction score
I am looking for some advice from the professional APs on a 0540 in my SR22. I know its plastic plane and is missing a wing but its in for annual and I am worried about one of the items on the repair list. Here is the item of the list that I just received back from the shop.

Item: 42

Proposed Service:

(M) Cylinder # 2 has compressions below minimums at 34/80. and tech noted air escaping form exhaust indicating defective

seal at exhaust valve. Master Orifice = 40/80 (TCM guide for minimum allowable compressions). Borescoped Cylinder # 2 and

confirmed Exhaust Valve leaking.

Action Taken:

Tech noted air escaping from exhaust indicating possible defect around exhaust valve/seat. Master Orifice = 40/80 (TCM guide

for minimum allowable compressions). Borescoped Cylinder # 2 and confirmed Exhaust Valve leaking. Remove Cylinder # 2

and send out for repair/overhaul. Re-install repaired cylinder.

NOTE: Additional labor & parts may be required-will advise at that time. Repair costs from the vendor have not yet been

determined. You will be advised of the cost once the cylinder has been evaluated by the repair shop.

Declined: Accepted:

Charges This Item: Labor: $ 930.00

Total For This Item: $ 930.00

I have not talked to them yet but will tomorrow. My question is does this require a overhaul on the cylinder or is just a valve that needs to be replaced or reseated? I know there are a lot of variables here but I am searching for some info before I talk with the shop. I have a feeling they will want to send out the cylinder and the shop advice I get back will be top overhaul. $930 is already a lot to RR the cylinder I think. What is the best approach to take with this. By the way this cylinder has about 600 hours since new.

Thanks for your help.

Curtis.

Latest posts

Back