• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Buying my 1st pitts (Need Help!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikemmett33

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am looking at a 1989 Pitts S2B and have a pre-buy being conducted. I'm flying out to look at the plane and I wanted to get some feedback on what to look for. This plane in particular has had 2 prop strikes and has rolled over its nose one time hundreds of hours ago. It appears the Fuse and the upper wing were replaced after the incident (I don't know who did the work just yet, I should have that info tomorrow). The engine was completely disassembled after the 2nd prop strike a couple hundred hours ago as well (not overhauled) but everything checked out OKAY. I believe the plane has seen light acro since and it seems to be preforming fine. I expect (HOPE) it will not need to be covered for 7-10 years, and an MT prop in the future would be a nice nice upgrade as well, But for now I am looking for an entry level plane I can upgrade over time as I increase my skills. This plane isn't worlds cheaper than an aircraft without damage history maybe 20-25K so if its going to be tons of initial maintenance it may not be worth it, when it seems you can get a cleaner plane with roughly the same hours for ~30K more.

This one may be a little risky and I want to make sure to go through it with a fine tooth comb. I have been saving a LONG time and the price is right for me ONLY if it turns out to be a good flying plane with limited maintenance for the next 5 ish years. Also, because it has a 2 blade it leads me to believe it has not seen hard acro. plus the prop strikes and issues give me some comfort in the fact that things have been gone through more recently vs. a plane who's service life is already 60% TBMO.

[FONT=&quot]My hit list so far is:[/FONT]

1) Canopy - has small crack that is expected not to advance any further. and a lot of the hardware (nylon stuff and hinges have been replaced more recently)
2) Prop flange - I believe it is a .44, but I will look closer when I see the plane. I was told there were no lightening holes in it.
3) Crank - I'm not sure if it is in accordance with[FONT=&quot] Lycoming AD. 569A just yet?
4) Oil - It has no Oil Analysis history
5) Bungies - New bungies in 2016
6) Fuel and oil lines - have been replaced as required, but never gone through 100%.
7) Fabric - I've heard some patching under the lower wing and cracking in the paint on the rear fuse which I'm told is typical for older Pitts.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]My questions is what else should I be looking for? Where do Pitts stress over time? What are the key offenses to run far away from.

Thanks to everyone on this Forum!
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back