• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

C-FPGD Acroduster winter maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Powell

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have owned my acroduster for about 3 years, but I'm a brand new member to the biplane forum.

I'm an aircraft mechanic and commercial pilot and operate a small business called Fastback Aviation.

Most of my aircraft maintenance, restoration and flying has been completed on certified aircraft. It has been a large adjustment for me working on experimental aircraft.

In this thread I will showcase the winter maintenance that I am completing to the airplane after a busy season of aerobatic flying.

My maintenance plan originally consisted of:
1. Changing the aircraft exhaust.
2. Improving the engine baffling to reduce cooling drag.
3. Modification of engine intake and oil cooler.
4. If time permitted and I'm not too busy with other projects, I also hope to install a canopy.

Due to learning about the fatal crash in Australia, I am now also facing replacing wing components and looking at a complete re-rig of the aircraft wings.

Other items that have crept into this winter's maintenance program include:
1. The installation of an engine monitor, so I could correctly track the progress I was making with regards to cooling.
2. Sorting out the rear shoulder harnesses so that they actually provide some level of safety.

I will post my progress here, and I hope to also ask for some advice, and guidance with regards to some of the modifications that I will be conducting. Hopefully this will be interesting for some of you and some good motivation for myself!

Attachments

• 20230225_150623.jpg
    20230225_150623.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back