• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cameron - Skybolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got my PPl a couple of months ago and I bought a 46 Luscombe 8E at the same time. I've been flying it quite a bit, and its been alot of fun. But, I've been building hotrods for a long time and I really want to try building an airplane. I am an Engineer for a small Machine Design and Build firm that has a complete machine and fab shop. I also have access to a laser and sheetmetal shop, plus a couple of really good welders. I'm not just a behind the desk engineer either, I do get out in the shop and crank handles on a mill or a lathe and help assemble,every now and then. Sometimes, they even turn me loose with a welder, but that usually isn't pretty. I can also seeing myself working in some manufacturing processes in all of this to help speed things up, but I won't know that until I get into it.

I know I eventually want to build, but I haven't decided on what to build yet. I want a two place, aerobatic airplane that has a decent cruise speed. I looked at a couple of RV's. They are really nice, but I see them everywhere and I really don't want to drive that many rivets. The Skybolt seems to fit my needs quite nicely, plus, its a biplane. I do have a few questions though.

With a basic VFR panel, a used IO 360, and me doing all of the other work, including paint (I've painted a few cars so I know just enough to be dangerous), about how much can I expect to spend? How many hours does the build process normally take? How is performance with the IO 360?

I would really like to see one in person, and get a ride in one. Is there anyone in the central, KY area (or within a couple of hours by air) that would be willing to trade a ride in a Skybolt for a ride in a Luscombe?

Thanks,
Cameron

Latest posts

Back