• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Canadian AcroSport II C-FLSE rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
AcroSport II C-FLSE .
The aircraft first flew in 1992 and is just short of 900 Hrs. Powered by a Lycoming IO-360A1A the aircraft has never had any major issues until an annual inspection 2 years ago. At the time of the inspection all panels were removed and the only issue was a major series of cracks at the bottom of Stn # 2 . on the right side .The bottom longeron tube was ok but all side 4130 tubes in the lower cluster were cracked. This is the location of the attachment points for the Grove spring gear which has been on the airplane for all of it's life.
So what's next ? Time to use My GM Defence Canada engineering hat and develop an improved gear support system for both sides. By the way the aircraft is licenced for 1980 # in Canada and the Grove gear has been fantastic . When removed I did a dimensional check and it was the same as Randy delivered in 1992. After a few evenings of enjoying a Coor's Light and Canadian Rye I said time for a major inspection and overhaul. So for the next 6 months it was remove all fabric from the airframe and wings. The wings has no issues at all and the airframe was sandblasted and no issues other that at Stn 2. The redesigned Stn 2 was beefed up and I will show those photos in upcoming posts.
The aircraft has been recovered in Stits with Ranthane as final coating. The wings are ready to install and the fuselage is about 3 weeks from being completed.
Some of the main changes to the original design of Paul Poberezny's is the main fuel tank is 29 US Gallons and the Aux tank is 6.5 Us Gallons. and the grove spring gear. After all the time flying the airplane I would never go back to the Bungee Gear system, this is much more forgiving with no bounce.
So at the Start of Covid it was time to start spending more money on both sides of the border. Engine Major overhaul to O time. Hartzell prop inspection and overhaul. Dual Surefly Electronic Ignition. Remove all of the old Steam gauges and install a complete Dynon Skyview 10 " touch system. Intercom, Dual Com, Transponder, ASDB etc. The only Item I kept was the Altimeter. A new electrical system has been installed, 70 amp alternator, Dual batteries, All wiring is in a military style duct system to make fabrication simple and secure. A fire suppression system has also been installed for the engine compartment and the cockpit area similar to the ones we installed over the year's for USMC and US Army in Lav's and Strykers we built.
The remaining components have all been inspected and rebuilt as required.
The plan is start reassembly Mid May . Do weight and Balance, Lots of Log Book entries, the test runs in early June and test flight about July 1.
I will post a series of photo's over the next few weeks of the Fuselage mod's with an explanation as well a series of photo's of the instrument panel and all of the other upgrades.

Best Regards: Paul Brooks London Ontario
DSC00195.JPG

Latest posts

Back