• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Canopy safety issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrnflier

Reaction score
FYI

I have discovered an issue while servicing the canopies of several Eagles. One was Benny Davis's first Eagle II built in 1990.

Over the past few months I have serviced three different Eagles. On all three the canopy release lever was nearly frozen in place. I suspect that once the canopy is attached , most never get ejected. Herein lies the problem. If you ever need to eject the handle either will not move or it takes both hands and a lot of pulling to release it. I am not a small guy at 250 lbs and it took me more than 5 minutes of pulling to get the handles back far enough to disengage the canopies.

Lubing the pins and slide screws on the bottom of the cross tube and working the lever will free up the release. Be sure to remove the safety tab and reinstall when done.

Use a good lube like LPS1 first and follow with LPS2.

If you did not build your Eagle manual 915 has all the details of canopy removal and re installation. Be sure to have an assistant on the right side of the plane at the rear of the canopy to assist in the reconnect. If you want to remove the canopy off the plane safely it takes 4 people, one in the plane one on each side and an extra to move the canopy to one side or the other.

If any of the owners of the Eagles I serviced, who do perform aerobatics, had to get out, they would have been slowed or even trapped in the plane.

I would recommend testing and lubing the canopy eject system at each annual. You may never need to use it but if you do you want it to work and right now!

Marty
A&P King Aero Aviation, Inc.
A & P King Aero Aviation, Inc.

Marty King
King Aero Aviation, Nappanee IN

Latest posts

Back