• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Canopy seals for a Pitts S-2A down-under

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

My name is Thom, an Aussie based aviator with a Pitts S-2a in Melbourne, Australia. Our Pitts, VH-UFX, serial 2140, made its way from USA to New Zealand in 2010, then on to Australia in 2018. Myself and two colleagues purchased her in March 2022 and have been enjoying every minute of it since!

Fast forward, we are now in the midst of our first annual and have decided to refit the closed canopy as we go into winter. We were fortunate in the purchase to receive the original canopy that was fitted to the aircraft having been removed during a rebuild in 2003. Lucky for us and fortunately we have all the bits in neat labelled bags save a few...

The part/s we are missing at the moment are the "Side window seals" Part number: 2-8000-015 (according to the S-2B parts catalog). Aviat has quoted us $300.00 USD for the seals. Ouch!

So, does anyone have suggestions for alternatives? Some pictures of the seal would be very much appreciated if someone has an S-2a handy! I'm wondering if the seal is a common type of extrusion from say Piper/ Beechcraft/Cessna that we can just chop to length?

Many thanks in advance,

Thom

P.S. I don't have the original N reg but perhaps someone knows the aircraft from it's time in the US through the serial number? Otherwise I can delve into the books when I next have access to them to find out.

Attachments

• IMG_1071.JPG
    IMG_1071.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back