• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Carb Heat with Pressure Carb?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am currently fabricating a custom airbox with a flap in it to allow the use of carb heat.Someon stopped by the hangar the other day, and I was explaining what I was doing. They said that many experimental biplanes like mine (an Acrosport II) don't have carb heat. The main reasons that he quoted were that the carb was mounted on the warm oil sump, and the pressure carb discharged fuel downstream of the venturi. This would keep any kind of carb ice from forming in any VFR conditions. I think he also said something to the effect of, "if you are in a situation where carb ice is occuring, probably because of freezing rain, you have a whole other set of problems."

At any rate, I am almost done with my airbox, the push/pull cable has already been ran, and I already have the heat muff ordered, so my airplane will get carb heat. Plus, I'd rather have it, and not need it, than the alternative.

But, this conversation did get me curious. I am well aware that you have to pick an choose who you listen to, especially while hangar flying, but I am wondering if those of you who have flying biplanes, have carb heat or not, and if you have ever needed it.

Latest posts

Back