• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Case too soft to line bore??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfoot

Reaction score
I have an AEIO-360-A1E that was installed on a Pitts S-1T in 1984. It replaced what ever the factory put in it the year before. Pitts was owned by Charley Larkey at the time and the engine was done by Dick Demars with about 340 hours. Since then it was OH by Dick again in 1993. Been bouncing around from owner to owner "till I bought it in 2008. At that time it had about 300 hours since 1993. This spring it decided to make metal and so it was dismantled and sent off for rebuild. Just got a call tonight from my engine guy to tell me that Divco says the case is too soft to do their magic to because it has been welded on in areas to strengthen the case. Their bottom line is its no good and we can sell you outright a replacement case for what else but "an amount that makes me say oh crap". Anyway, does anyone here have any experience with such a situation and do you have any suggestions, other than to buck up and buy the new/used parts offered.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Latest posts

Back