• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cashflyer's Skybolt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashflyer

Reaction score

Greetings.
I just registered today and thought I should introduce myself to the group.

About me:
Born in '68, I am DOM at a Part 145 repair facility. I hold an A&P with inspector authorization. I am a commercial pilot, and formerly was also a CFII.

I am the caretaker of our company owned Cessna 172N. We also have a 172M that I will be rebuilding this winter.

About 12 years ago I rebuilt a KR-2 that had been left derelict. I never flew it, instead selling it onward to somebody who fit the cockpit better than I.

About the plane:
Last week, I purchased a partially completed project. I initially thought it was a Skybolt, but sent photos to David Stone at Steen and he identified it as a Firebolt.

The fuselage is 95% complete and has an AEIO-360 engine.
The wings are skeletons. Ribs are on the spars. Lower wings have leading and trailing installed, however the upper does not.

As best as I can tell from the papers that I received, the project was active between 1992 and 1996. I don't find any receipts past 1996.

There was considerable hangar dust collected on the wings, and now that I have them clean I have found two broken ribs, and varnish that is in generally poor condition. I will sand everything down, fix the ribs, and apply a fresh coat of EV-400.

Regards.

Edited by: cashflyer

Latest posts

Back