• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

centersection tank

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I've been busy making up a centersection tank here. I'm hoping there are no glaring errors...but i'm going to duck my head and show you my work.

I started with a rib pattern and then made my upper and lower skins.
The picture shows the skins with an undersize oak form for the baffles and end-caps.

20071229_204107_skinplug.jpg

I made a pattern on deltacad and taped it to aluminum to cut out the blanks. I used a jigsaw..but a bandsaw would be better. I drilled relief holes in each corner before bending.

20071229_204328_pattblank.jpg

I bent the flanges 3 sides...then hammered the top curve over the oak form.
20071229_205104_blockblk.jpg

Flanges bent....i marked the tank inside and made up all the spanwise baffles.

Next i put some holes in the baffles ...2". There are also areas in the baffle corners where fuel can spill thru.

That done i put in a few clecos to keep things lined up. I used a string across the top baffles for alignment, along with a straight line on the tank bottom and a triangle to stand everything up straight.

20071229_205825_opentank.jpg

The top still fits!

20071229_210428_sealed.jpg

One more picture.
20071229_212335_fr&

Edited by: bigblackmastiff

Latest posts

Back