• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

CF Turtle Deck Fabrication Acrosport 2S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizo

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
ok guys here ya go, ill try and go through how i went about building this thing. i should have it pretty much done by the end of the week. it was pretty easy actually to make it. just 3 easy steps. make the plug, make the mold and finally make the part. yeaaa, ok:rolleyes: here i am 5 months later finally getting to make it! glad i had plenty of other things to do on the project while fighting the plug, fighting the mold and finally the part making actually went very well! would i do it again...... yea probably, it came out awesome! i used 2 plies of 5.9 oz 2x2 twill carbon in the mold, then 2 pieces of 1/8 last-a-foam where it was required for stiffness, then one final layer to sandwich it all together. then a layer of peel ply and finally wicking materiel. then vacuum bagged it. came out nice and light, at 2 lbs 3 oz a side and strong! i made the front bulkhead out of 2 plies core then 2 more plies. the rear bulkhead will be 3 core 3. the turtle deck will not be considered "removable" even though it can be for inspection. however the turtle deck carries a load from the fin when the tail wires are tensioned keeping the fin from raking forward. if you remove the turtle deck, and try and put it back on, the screw holes prolly wont line up because the wires pulled the top of the fin forward. the way i designed mine, you have to remove the elevators to get it off so youll have to de-rig the tail anyway. im using a lexan baggage tray making inspection easy, and it still has the large panel on the belly infront of the tailwheel for adjustments or any servicing. all the bearings are sealed so there really isnt a reason to get in there unless you wreck something. i didnt build it for it to be removed for inspections, i built it because it looks awesome, is super light, and eliminates that fabric transition from the turtle deck to fin. i really like the look of the one tony at specialty aero made for a S1-11 i believe it is. however i wanted to change mine up a bit as to not make a direct copy of his. i like the look of the model 12 tail, how the fin comes up out of the rear panel so i went for that look. we are working on a time lapse gopro video of one complete half layup. should have that up in a few days. anyways, heres some pics:

i guess i cant give them descriptions with the new way to upload them so i guess you can figure it out, if theres any questions feel free to ask as usual.......

IMG_0029_m.jpg

DSC00161_m.jpg

DSC00172_m.jpg

DSC00193_m.jpg

DSC00210_m.jpg

DSC00277_m.jpg

DSC00307_m.jpg

DSC00326_m.jpg

IMG_0231_m.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back