• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Chapter 187, Tony Bingelis, and Kittie Litter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sooo... during us celebrating our Chapter's 51st birthday, I came across a gentleman who's given me a stack of our old newsletters...

That would be completely irrelevant to this topic, if not two facts:

1. Our chapter was founded by Tony Bingelis himself :)
2. We've had a great April's Fools newsletter apparently called "Kittie Litter", mostly I guess due to the fact that the airport the chapter used to have it's hangar at was called Kittie Hill.

Anyways, here's me reading them, and I find this gem,

Tony Bungle-it Starts Construction on his 48t Airplane.

Never one to rest on his laurels, Chapter 187187 Founding Member Tony Bungle-it is beginning a new project. As most of you already know, Bungle-it completed his RV-27 TA project just yesterday morning, but sold it that same afternoon to obtain the necessary funding for a new project. His quality workmanship on the Tandem-Axle RV, modified to include supplementary wingtip outrigger landing gear, brought an unusually high price from an eager buyer from Botswana.

After building monoplanes for most of his life, Bungle-it decided that he needed "a real challenge." As a result, he is now constructing a four engine, 22 passenger biplane. "If the truth be known," he said during today's interview, "my ideal dream plane has always been a biplane!" As he polished his aluminum mounted monocle, he said, "I have no idea why I never built one."

The greatest challenge for Bungle-it, as he sees it, is "the modification of the garage to accommodate the 131' single piece spar of the top wing."

A long time fan of Rolls Royce engines, he has acquired four consecutively serial numbered twelve cylinder Silver Phantom engines. Each of these 125 H.P. beauties cost 1,932 pounds sterling. Curiously enough, that is also how much each one weights.

During the interview, he kept puttering around his garage and by the time we left, had completed two engine mounts, one elevator, and made a mockery of the instrument panel.

There is also little doubt that Bungle-it will fill the pages of Spurt Aviation with all manner of useful building tidbits involving this fascinating endeavor.

--

BTW: the full archive is here: http://bit.ly/187-archives, look @ the Kittie Litter folder.

Latest posts

Back