• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Charger Gear Cracking - Options?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McFly

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Skybolt is equipped with Charger gear and I'm having recurring cracking issues. We bought the plane in 2017 and immediately had to do a gear repair (lesson learned regarding pre-buy inspections). The fore gusset wasn't originally built with the fold-over flange, so we rebuilt it to include that feature. We also beefed up the outer tubing in which the attachment pin lives. Fast-forward four years (three, really, because the repair wasn't complete until 2018) and I've discovered more cracking in the same general area. Attached are pictures of the recently found cracks.

Since I'm fed up with having to repair this issue multiple times, I'm strongly considering replacing the gear with a different design. I welcome any comments/advice anyone has, particularly if you've dealt with this issue before. To get the conversation started, here are some questions I have about the different gear options:
  1. Has anyone replaced the Charger's stacked rubber donuts with something else? Belleville washers, an actual strut, etc.?
  2. Does the Grove gear have similar stress issues to the Charger gear due to is relatively narrow attachment span (<10" vs ~20" on the bungee geometry)? Has anyone done this successfully with a history of no recurring cracks?
  3. Is the bungee gear my best option? What's the drag penalty vs either the Charger or Grove gear?
  4. How do the updated bungee gear's handling characteristics compare to the Grove or Charger gear?
  5. Lastly, I'll just ask the question directly - what do you recommend I do and why?
I'll leave my post at that for now, hopefully this sparks some useful discussion among all of you experienced builders/owners.

Attachments

• PXL_20210703_194141819.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210703_194141819.MP.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 129
  • PXL_20210703_194308656.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210703_194308656.MP.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 125

Latest posts

Back