• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Choosing a saw for resawing spruce into 1/4" capstrip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I am about to start building Charger ribs (finally!) and am looking at the option of buying spruce locally. No one in the Seattle area is going to offer 1/4"x1/4" capstrip, so I'm going to have to resaw planks if I go this route. This is mostly about having a local option where I don't have to pay vast sums into the coffers of UPS or FedEx (and wait for far too long for delivery) if I discover I'm three boards short of what I need.

I can imagine two different methods of performing this resawing work: with a bandsaw, and with a tablesaw. At the moment, I own neither tool, so this is an occasion on which I get to pick the best option rather than making do with what I already have.

The obvious advantage of a tablesaw is that I've used one recently if not extensively, and I'm familiar with the process of how to do this kind of resawing. A tablesaw is pretty much purpose built for this kind of work. Unfortunately, it also typically has a kerf that's around 50% of the final product, which seems like a lot of waste.

A bandsaw is relatively new territory to me. I've used one before, but it's been a while, and I'm less familiar with them than with tablesaws. I feel like they're generally safer (no kickback), and more versatile for other uses (no cutting tight curves with a tablesaw), but also suffer from more finicky setup and maintenance requirements.

I have a 1-car garage in which I'll be building, so space is at a premium. The more generally-useful a tool is, the more excited I am to buy it and store it. Money is an object, but I'm thinking the budget for the right tool would be up to about $1000, so it doesn't have to be the cheapest option.

My inclination is to get a good medium-sized bandsaw and a selection of blades, since I believe you want a wider blade for resawing, and a skinnier blade for general bandsaw work. I can't afford to get both saws right now unless I go for cheap tools, which I'd rather avoid, and I worry about how I'll store too many tools and still have space to build. I don't currently have a powered metal-cutting saw, so a bandsaw is appealing since you can fit a speed control to the motor and cut metal as well as wood.

What do you think? Am I missing important factors? What have you used successfully for an airplane build?

Latest posts

Back