Chris' Acrosport 2S. Part 1.

Discussion in 'Acrosport' started by smizo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator

ok, well on mikes advice im starting my own build thread. good luck on the mini mike, was looking forward to a counter part on an as2 build but you fell into one heck of a deal man, good for you! anyways, i got all of the "stick" parts for the ribs cut, labeled, and separated in bags for ease of assembly. im going tomorrow down to the shop to pick up the rest of the ply and spruce from the laser cutter, then its assembly time. im planning on the weight system to build the ribs and i have 40 pieces of round stock cut to 1.5 in. diameter x 2 in. length. i prebent the top and bottom cap strips using a jig made out of a 4x4. soak them in the tub and clamp them in until dry. been reading alot on here and thanks for everyones advice! already read all of and printed several articles from the a.s. newsletters. what a great resource this is. heres a few photos to start with, more to come! let the adventure begin.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now thats what i call woodworking!! ;)

Thanks Christian!!

Edited by: smizo

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2018 at 6:38 PM
    Dennis Flamini likes this.
  2. Mar 2, 2010 #2

GoldenAge

GoldenAge

GoldenAge

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow that looks cool.
    I'm jealous now!!!
    I was considering laser or cnc routing my ribs (I'm not building an ACII). But, I was afraid how much the setup and machine time would be. I placed a call for a local quote but they haven't returned my call yet.

Would you be willing to tell me, ballpark, how much you spent for this service? How many 4'X8' sheets did you cut? Do they charge by linear inch cut?

My problem is I have more time than money (and not much time at that). Because of my fear of the cost I recently decided I was going to make patterns and hand route all my ribs. Sure would be nice to know they are all exactly the same and accurate though. Last weekend I picked up a used sanding station with 9"disk and 6" belt. I figured that and a hand router should be the cheap labor intensive solution.

Keep us posted with your progress. This looks like it will be a good one to follow. Actually they are all good to follow. Who doesn't like watching progress of a biplane being built? :)

Keep that motivation up too.

David

3. Mar 2, 2010 #3

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

LOL, don't worry Chris i'm still gonna keep you motivated!!!! I had to go for the project, being it's my first, and it's a good deal, and I have other airplanes...........Just had to do it. I love the Acrosport 2, and someday I will have one.

That looks great by the way....way to go buddy! What's your next step????

Mike

4. Mar 4, 2010 #4

smizo

smizo

smizo

well next step happened tonight mike. got all the parts back yesterday and went through them all and organized them. so now i got 2 boxes of upper wing and lower wing parts, now all i have to do is assemble it..... yea all i have to do.... haha. anyways, started my first rib tonight. will flip it over tomorrow and repeat. then frame another one up in the jig. guess ill put out 1.5 ribs a day that way. all the parts came out great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dennis Flamini likes this.
  5. Mar 4, 2010 #5

smizo

smizo

smizo

also, forgot to mention, i answered davids question about the price of the laser cutting via pm. i dont want to sound like an advertiser listing what i paid for anything, so if anyone is interested i will pm you what the cost was.......

6. Mar 4, 2010 #6

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

Looks great, I like how your using weights as the clamps. Did you weigh them? Just wondering what they are at.

Mike

7. Mar 4, 2010 #7

smizo

smizo

smizo

hey mike, yea they are one pound each. also, another question..... do you make destructive test pieces for each glue batch you mix up? just wondering that as that will be alot of scrap!

8. Mar 4, 2010 #8

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

I know a guy that built a Waco from scratch and what he did was bought a bunch of animal syringes and filled them up the same. He said he did one destructive test and that was it. He also figured out how much epoxy (T-88) it took for a work session and marked all the syringes the same so he wasn't wasting glue.

That's what he did and it worked great. I think I also read here on the forum that others use the syringes as well. They are cheap and available at farming supply stores around where I live. If you can't find them look online or I can buy some and send them to you. I suspect you should have access t them in any medium sized town.

I like the idea because everything ends up the same assuming you mark the syringes the same.

Mike

9. Mar 4, 2010 #9

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I used syringes, too. You really need to be making destruction test pieces for every major element you do. While you may be able to mix accurately, that is not the only requirement for good joints, there are other variables to consider [and unforeseen one's!] which can be beyond your control:
    My drag wire blocks/glued_to_spar failed during wire tensioning...I had gotten out of the habit of making batch test pieces over time. If I had made a test piece for such a significant element of the wing at the right time, I would have caught it earlier, luckily I still caught it early enough. It turned out I had been lubricating the table saw with silicone, and this had contaminated the drag blocks. Lesson learned...

10. Mar 4, 2010 #10

smizo

smizo

smizo

thanks, i was figuring that just wondering if i needed to do one for each rib, as i need to mix a batch per rib. i wont, every few ribs ill make up a test piece. then like you say, as building the wings every major task will have a test batch.

11. Mar 4, 2010 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I'd like to know. Also, I don't think anyone would call this advertising... a public quote is fine with me.

12. Mar 4, 2010 #12

Beej

Beej

Beej

Creator of this place Staff Member Administrator Moderator

<i dont want to sound like an advertiser listing what i paid for anything

Advertising is for the Classifieds category - this isn't advertising. I am sure many wish to know.....

13. Mar 4, 2010 #13

smizo

smizo

smizo

ok, well cool then..... i got it done at wilke enginuity just outside harrisburg pa. about 3 hrs drive for me but had the best price and one of the closest shops that could do it. anyways, it was 4 sheets of 1/16 ply, one sheet of 1/4 inch ply and 2 pieces of 5/8 inch spruce 4 inches x 12 feet for the nose blocks. all rib and spar plate parts cut for 876.50. not bad i think for the time it saved. i have all the cad files for them from christian in france. that was a huge help. he has given me permission to offer them to anyone building the as2 that would wish to get the wing wood laser cut. thanks again christian for the huge help!!

chris

14. Mar 4, 2010 #14

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Dennis Flamini

Chris,
    Did he give you the files for the fittings also, if so i could use them.
    Dennis in Chicago

15. Mar 5, 2010 #15

smizo

smizo

smizo

yep, i have all the wood pieces, as well as all the steel fitting pieces for the fuselage and wings.

16. Mar 10, 2010 #16

smizo

smizo

smizo

just an update on the progress report, got all the standard truss full size ribs complete. last one is drying in the jig now. tomorrow ill be retooling the jig to assemble the short ribs for the center section as well as the aileron bays. everything is going smoothly so far, so thats good.

17. Mar 10, 2010 #17

Pinballwizzard

Pinballwizzard

Pinballwizzard

That is amazing, I am surprised that nobody has set up to do more kits using that method, once you have the templates you can kick them out as ordered. Steen Aero has that going for at least one of the planes they sell. It is something to see a true wing kit sitting there, and you know that could be done for the Acro II.

Which makes me wonder about the market for the ASII. It really fits a need, it is pretty much a 2 winged Citabria/Decathlon. There are more aerobatic (competition) biplanes for sure but not everyone is in need of that. It performs well on a less expensive engine rather than needing a 540. And the airframe adapts well to new technology. I would like to see Steen adopt it and produce true kit modules for it.

18. Mar 11, 2010 #18

smizo

smizo

smizo

yea definitely a great way to build the as2. while i waited for the wood down at the laser cutting shop, i cut the 1/4x1/4 and 1/4x5/8 pieces and made up a "kit" at work to assemble the ribs. now i just sit at home and assemble them. jig up one, and glue the gussets on one side, and the one from the previous day is pulled out of the jig and the gussets are glued on the opposite side. takes about an hour and a half to frame up one rib and gusset up 2 of them. projecting all the ribs to be done before april so i can start framing up wings in my hanger then.

19. Mar 18, 2010 #19

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

littlebiplane

Way to go Chris!!!!!

Can't wait to see more pictures.

Mike

20. Mar 19, 2010 #20

smizo

smizo

smizo

thanks mike, i almost have all the standard ribs done for the upper wing, including the center section. just need 2 more aileron bay short ribs. thats tomorrow nights project. then i just need to do the short aileron bay ribs for the lower wing and its on to the sheeted butt, plated and compression ribs. so about 2 more weeks of rib building and ill be about ready to start framing up a wing panel. ill be milling my spars down next week to the proper angles on top and bottom on my buddies compound joiner planner. basically a planner with a guide that you can adjust the angle of. should give a nicer and more accurate finish than a table saw. havent put up any photos, well, cause its only more ribs. ill take a few pics of the stack of them when they are done i guess.......

chris