Christen Eagle ground loop. Questions

Discussion in 'Christen Eagle' started by Leon le Roux, Jun 19, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating:

1. Jun 19, 2018 #1

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Good day. My Christen Eagle ground looped (yes, by itself) Sad story, but not a long story- about 10 seconds. Luckily we're fine, no prop strike. While the insurers mill through the claim, I would like some advice on suppliers to replace;

Left bottom wing- edge bent up (2 feet) so both spars damaged,
    Landing leg bent,
    Left front wheel assembly and spat/ wheel pant
    tail wheel assembly,
    small fibreglass cosmetic covers.

Being from south Africa and not much experience with bi plane repair, mush less christen Eagle and with the agent apparently not supplying completed parts, can anyone advise or recommend someone who builds wings commercially?

Been trolling the internet and some nice looking after market manufacturers, but would appreciate input and possible referrals from the people in the know.

Saw the Christen Eagle at Oshkosh last year, took the photo and suddenly lost interest in all the RV's. got home and the one of 2 in the country was for sale. done deal.

Thanks in advance.

Leon

2. Jun 19, 2018 #2

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

The first missing piece of info is where you and the airplane are located. If you are in the northeast US, someone like Smizo or Joe Flood might be able to help you. In the upper mid-west US Mike Wiskus might be closest, etc. Benny Davis has parts. He is in the central US.

Best of luck,

Wes

3. Jun 19, 2018 #3

Matt-

Matt-

Matt-

Scottseagle had a set of lower wings available, not sure if he still has them. We have a whole stash of Eagle parts that will be up fore sale soon. I have to get a good inventory and pics together. I am going to sell the whole lot, don’t want to split it up.

4. Jun 19, 2018 #4

scottseagle2

scottseagle2

scottseagle2

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I do have a set of lower wings available for sale.

5. Jun 19, 2018 #5

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

Getting the lower wings from Scott will likely be your cheapest and quickest option there.

For the landing gear, between www.aircraftspruce.com and http://www.groveaircraft.com/landing_gear.html , you should be able to get that taken care of.

Benny Davis should be able to help you out with wheel pants and maybe some of the other fiberglass fairings. http://www.davisaeroparts.com/

Then, Aviat is the kit manufacturer. They can still supply parts as required. https://aviataircraft.com/

By the way, check your top wing good too.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  6. Jun 20, 2018 #6

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Sorry all, One hour away from Johannesburg South Africa. Little technical support here which explains complete components.

7. Jul 5, 2018 #7

Bipeshopper

Bipeshopper

Bipeshopper

Hi Leon, which Eagle did you buy? I seriously considered buying ZU-GDO last year.

8. Jul 5, 2018 #8

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

ZU EBR= enough beer reserves. GDO is sharing the hangar- sold, waiting for license conversion.

Bipeshopper and hosspowerinc like this.
  9. Jul 9, 2018 #9

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Good day,

Some pics, before and after.

I am considering changing the tail wheel. Have just prior to the ground loop replaced the tyre as it had chucked off its tyre from normal tight turning during taxi and suspect the tire might have 'escaped' just prior to the accident. This after only 80 hours old with excessive wear and wire consistently protruding out of itself.

Any views on this and what tail wheel and would you recommend.

Attached Files:

10. Jul 9, 2018 #10

Cameron

Cameron

Cameron

mvanbergen likes this.
  11. Jul 9, 2018 #11

austinaviator

austinaviator

austinaviator

What Cameron said. I had my tire pass me on landing rollout one time. Had enough, put on the API, great product.

12. Jul 9, 2018 #12

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Leon le Roux

Thanks. will take your advice.

13. Jul 10, 2018 #13

Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet

Captain Scarlet

Registered Users Supporting Member

[QUOTE="Leon le Roux, post: 202793, member: 6653"]Good day,

Some pics, before and after.

I am considering changing the tail wheel. Have just prior to the ground loop replaced the tyre as it had chucked off its tyre from normal tight turning during taxi and suspect the tire might have 'escaped' just prior to the accident. This after only 80 hours old with excessive wear and wire consistently protruding out of itself.

Any views on this and what tail wheel and would you recommend.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem with the tyre departing on landing. BUT I then discovered I had bought/been sold the 6 X 2 Aero Classic 6350 tyre p/n 06-01044, which is specifically NOT recommended for the Lang.
    I then acquired the correct item, 6 x 2 General Tire p/n 06-15800 and all has been OK since.

This is what the Aircraft Spruce site says;

6 X 2 Aero Classic 6350 solid tailwheel tire. Wire Reinforced Bead Area for Heavy Duty Usage. Used on Scott 2000 series tailwheels under Part No. 1879. Replaces Goodyear 6x2 tire.

Note: Not for use on Lang Tailwheels, use general tire 06-15800 for Lang D-501A.