• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Christoph from Germany

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christoph

Reaction score

Hi all,
I am Christoph from Germany. I am not yet building anything and probably won't for manymonths to come as I currently still am a student and only work part-time (as a paramedic). The reason I join the forum : I do want to start a project some time in the future when, hopefully, I work full-time and have the resources. I will finish my studies next summer so I felt its time to seriously start dreaming (;-).

I (as, it seems, many) am not yet decided on what I want to build. A Skybolt would be a dream, but one that might not be possible to realise. Flying is very ! expensive in Germany, not least as a gallon of 100LL Avgas currently is about9,45 $. Furthermore, I would need a lot more relevant and current flying experience. I have logged roughly 200 hours, but most of it in gliders and some in 'low and slow' powered planes, close to none in the last 5 years.

It is encouraging, though, to read that more builders acquire the necessary flying skills during the build. I also have an uncle who is a CFI, which will definitely help (;-).

I would have to learn many skills to build a plane such as the Skybolt, but I see that as a bonus rather than an obstacle. There are less builders in Europe than in the U.S., a disadvantage, but I have to say that this forum and the builders pages offset that in many ways. They are great resources!

So, I am here mostly to get a feel of what building a plane from a plan takes and to find out if I really believe I could do it. As said, it won't be in the near future but I think taking the time to get at least the hopelessly naive impression I would know what I'm getting myself into is worth the effort.

Christoph.

Latest posts

Back