• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Chrome Brake Disc Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So how many of you have installed chrome brake disc's on your airplane? If so, what is or has been your experience? I recently acquired new Cleveland wheels 40-59A and 30-59A brake calipers, Kit PT# 199-104C, they also came with chrome disc's. During my current annual I removed the old worn out early Mooney wheels and brakes I have had on the airplane from day one, and installed these. Tonight after washing the engine down I went out on the taxi way and drove my airplane around some at first they did not work well at all! But after a while of using and riding them got the brakes warmed up and they seemed to get better, until they would hold at run up rpm, but still not as good as the old brakes? Back when I worked for the fire dept our rescue ambulance had metallic disc and shoe brakes and in order for them to work well they had to be run in good, but they were steel.

My question is, does one have to do the same or a similar burnish style brake in when using chrome disc's? They do need to be bled some more to make sure all of the air is out, but the old brakes with new pads seemed to work much better right from the start. Dave

FChelevland wheels and Brakes.jpg

Latest posts

Back