• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Clamshell canopy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimW

Reaction score
<beejthis is a continuation of this thread:
http://www.biplaneforum.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=933
</beej
"looking at the latch, it looks like the main pin going through the latch could be adapted to an emergency pull pin...thus releasing everything?"

Not to kick a dead horse but I have been thinking about this some more. I would think if you can disengage the canopy latches in flight without removing the quick release pins, the canopy would rotate up and away from your noggin since it would still be attached to the main arm of the hinge apparatus. If you removed the quick release pins, the canopy might come straight back and the balsa filled support would likely hit you in the head. Randy made a good point that you might not be able to disengage the latches but maybe there is a modification that could help.

Incidentally, my partner remembers Sean Tucker talking about getting hit in the helmet with his canopy when he had to eject from the Oracle plane. With helmet on, it was not an issue.

Jim

Latest posts

Back