• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cnverting to the three-piece upper wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeller

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey there -

My Firebolt project has the single-piece 24-foot wing configuration...the upper spars are already made up and the cabanes are welded to the fuselage. Looking at the options listed on the Steen website, I gather I'm looking at cutting up my upper spars and removing and re-welding the cabanes to accomodate a center section upper wing. (I've seen the pics posted on this website of an example Skybolt with this mod.)

Question for the group: should I be contacting Steen for a revised set of wing drawings to work from for this task? I am pretty sure I like the idea of not having to move that one-piece upper wing around, the extra fuel, and the better visibility through the revised cabanes. I figure now is the time to make this decision before I start building wings.

I know everyone has been wondering when this San Diego-based Firebolt will start coming together. I think the planets are starting to alignfor me. I've finished my Powerplant rating and am done with night school and am beginning to get antsy. Also planning to set up a workshop in my home garage, where I can spend a couple hours a night on this project without having to hoof it in traffic to the airport.

I'm also spendingtimereading the Builder's Manual and have to hand it to Randy and the crew - it reads wonderfully and I am finding it very useful.

More later,
Colleen

Latest posts

Back