• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Compression ratio VS my other parts?? and prop?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Ok guys,
Thanks for all the helpful comments on my engine rebuild.
I am not 100% set in stone about compression ratio yet. The new cylinders come with stock 8.5:1 but my supplier will buy the pistons back if I go high compression.
The Eagle was really awesome with the 11:1 motor until it broke. This thing at 25/25 would cruise 210 plus mph on my gps! Really damn impressive for a biplane. At 21" mainfold and 2400 rpm it showed 175-180 mph lean of peak on 11gph.
Nobody believes these numbers but it did really haul the mail. I had to put my buddy up front with a gps for him to believe it.
That is why I want to stay with higher compression. I am scared if I go back stock it will be a regular ol slow biplane again. But on the other hand I want relibility. I don't fly competitions , just fly for fun. It did burn 28GPH at acro setting though, thats a downfall. Had to pour the fuel to keep cht's cool.

The motor had 11:1's
front mount rsa 10 fuel servo-cold air intake
6 into 1 exhaust
3 blade BIG M/T with the 203 wide chord blades. Its bigger than the S-2B M/T's

I know the prop and the big fuel servo worked hand in hand with the high compression and HP. Now what happens if I put stock 8.5:1?
Will the fuel servo and prop be to big for the low HP and in return be a dog?
Thats why I am really leaning to 10:1.

Where would I see any difference between the compressions? Wide open only? Or will it effect the power all power settings?

I know if I build a 14:1 compression Big chevy and run a 1050 carb it is all good. If I run that 1050 carb with 8:1 compression it is a total dog.
I am sure the Lycoming is the same way correct?
Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back