• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Considering buying a Smith Mini Plane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhallon

Reaction score
Hello,

There is a SMP on Barnstormers I've been following for the past month owned by Michael Plecenik, located in San Angelo, TX. It is a modified version with extended and widened fuselage, O-290 D with McCauley metal prop. I'm wondering if this airplane is a good fit for me.

Here is a video link to the actual N# Smith Mini. [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp3V6qLKKyM[/ame]

First and foremost I have never owned an airplane before or flow in a SMP and am also fairly low time pilot with a whooping 110 hours in Cessna 172s and Pipers and also need my tail wheel endorsement, so not ready to purchase tomorrow. From what I've read online it seems like a good starter plane to build experience and would be a little more fun for me because I love biplanes.

I've flow from the front in a Acrosport and a Steerman; are they is any way comparable? How are the SMP flight characteristics? What can I expect from maintenance for a fabric covered airplane? Insurance coverage?

Lots of unknowns, but one step at a time. Basically trying to figure out if this plane would be a good buy to build experience and have some lazy afternoons joy rides in.

Thanks for reading and any help you offer!

-Jess

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back