• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Continental a65 vs a85 vs c85

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey gang, my new to me Aeronca 65TC (L-3J) has an A65-8. I’ve only owned one other small Continental C-85-12f on my Luscombe and maintain a Clipped Cub I just had its C-85-12f rebuilt with the “stroker” STC using the 0-200 crank, pistons, etc etc.

Anyway I’m just trying to brush up on these engines. And I can’t find out what the A vs C means. As there’s a C-85 and an A-85.

I know you can convert an A65-8 into a A75-8 (assuming your aircraft Type certificate has a 75hp listed or you have an STC). But can you convert a A-65-8 to 85hp? (For use on a certified plane).

Can anyone attest to any real change when they went from the a65-8 to the 75hp (its mainly just a prop change allowing higher RPM, but there is a couple internal engine mods needed also) on a Cub type airframe or L-3.

My plan is to just overhaul my mags and carb and fix a couple oil leaks and fly. But I’m thinking I’ll need to do at least a IRAN on it over the winter and would like to get the most power I can. There’s a STC that allows the higher hp engines I need to print off.

Any info and or book recommendations that might explain some of this is greatly appreciated.

Really want to decide on what engine to do later as the owner has 4 new a65 Cylinders I can buy fairly cheap. But if you can legally install 85hp jugs on a a65 case etc I might pass. (Or just pass and try to find a 85hp engine)

Latest posts

Back