• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Continental C90 vs O-200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameron

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for an engine core for my Skyote project. I'm also considering another engine option all together but the Continental would definitely be the easiest way to go. I had an O-200 in a Luscombe several years ago and that's been the extent of my experience with these engines.

My understanding on the C90 and O-200 is that they have the same bore and stroke. The C90 has a hotter cam and a crank that is less likely to crack due to some heat treatment differences. It makes its power at a lower RPM and it mostly more desirable than the O200.

My project came with a couple O200 cases that were modified to fit a -8 accessory case, a -8 accessory case, an intake spider/tubes, and a C90 cam with the fuel pump drive.

If I go with a small continental, it will probably be one with the -8 accessory case. No electrical, no battery, no starter....basically as light as possible. It will have a fuel pump, inverted oil, a Rotec TBI, 9.5:1 pistons, and probably a C90 cam. I'd be doing the build myself. If the experts on the internet are right, this combo should be good for 115hp or so.

Dimensionally, is there a difference between how the C90 and the O200 mount? Is one lighter than the other assuming that both are equipped the same.

Which one is better for aerobatics? I'll probably end up using a prop that lets the engine get some RPM. If the C90 makes its power at a lower RPM, then maybe it won't be quite as good as the O200 cam?

How do these engines do with acro? Are there crank flange breakage, or bearing issues?

Latest posts

Back