• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Control Stick Slop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After flying the starduster for a couple of years, it seems like the pilots control stick is becoming more and more sloppy. Or I'm just looking for another project.. who knows. The stick is currently constructed per the plans with a 3/8" .065 tube reamed out to 1/4" for the pivot point. This connection has slop in all directions. I suspect the hole has elongated or maybe it was drilled out too large to begin with. After looking at other designs i am thinking about replacing the existing set up with bearings similar to the Pitts design. What I have in mind is two KP4 bearings in a 4130 1" .049 wall tube. I would jig up the control stick, drill out he existing pivot point with a 1" hole saw the weld in the new bearing set up. I would probably need to add strapping around the connection, I am not sure how strength would be lost by drilling a 1" hole through the 1 5/16" tube then welding up the seam. What are ya'lls thoughts on this?

A picture of the stick plans are attached

Attachments

• Control Stick Plans.jpg
    Control Stick Plans.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back