• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Correct landing gear for Super Baby Great Lakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdus

Reaction score
The short version is that I bought a fuselage for my Super Baby Great Lakes. It came with spring landing gear (among other things). As an aside, I'm the fifth (!) owner of this fuselage. It needs some work, but I think I'm ahead by buying it. Anyway, I have a question about the spring landing gear it came with (the plans call out gear more along the lines of what a Pitts has). I actually e-mailed Grove twice about this, but they never responded, so I'm asking you guys here.

The gear seem like they massive positive camber (excessive?). I realize that some of that will be squashed out after everything is on the plane (e.g., engine, full fuel, etc.), so its stance on the ground should look more normal (i.e., wheel more or less vertical). However, of course, when landing, the gear will have this major positive camber. Is this correct? Is this landing gear correct for my plane? (NOTE: I will plan on buying and using radius plates for mounting the gear.)

Here are the measurements:

Depth (front to back at top where it attaches to fuselage): 6”
Width, wheel to wheel: 48”
Width (flat along top): 25”
Height: 19”
Bolt pattern: 1.375”, center to center, square pattern
Thickness: 1/2”

Thanks for any thoughts and advice.

Jay

p1197720597-6.jpg

p1197720615-5.jpg

p1197720645-6.jpg