• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Corrosion - flying/landing wire clevis ends

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gmovies

Reaction score
Hello Eagle folks. I've discovered pretty severe corrosion on the clevis tie rod ends (AN665 I believe) on my landing and flying wires. The ones at the fuselage are clean, but the ones buried inside the wing are bad both upper and lower. The big bolt that goes through the spar also has corosion at all four locations, but my bigger concern is the clevis tie rod ends and especially the little pin through the clevis. I think I can get the clevis tie rod ends detached using needle nose pliers through the opening of the wing for replacement but I'd also like to get the big bolt replaced as well.

Questions:

1) Can someone give me the exact part number/size for this bolt? The big one through the front spar at the flying and landing wire attach locations upper and lower wings.

2) Has anyone removed this bolt using "orthoscopic surgery" techniques through the openings in the wing? I believe the nut is on the fwd side of the spar so the bolt would slide aft for removal once the nut is off. This is probably going to be a huge pain but I'd like to avoid additional holes in the covering or holes in the sheet metal leading edge.

Thanks,
Paul Klusman

Latest posts

Back