Covering Pitts S1s in Poly Fiber

Discussion in 'Fabric & Paint' started by Spike100, May 16, 2018.

1. May 16, 2018 #1

Spike100

Spike100

Spike100

Hi All

I have been away from my project for few years so in the process going over everything Ive since forgotten.
    I pulled it out of storage and had to stick the wings on to remind myself that I had done some construction before it was mothballed.
    I am down in New Zealand and looking at getting the covering materials on their way as they go by slow boat due to the dangerous goods in Poly brush etc.
    I have found on the Spencer aircraft website a helpful list of materials to get and was wondering if it correct in saying I will need x7 Gallons of Poly Spray, x6 Gallons of Poly Brush as well as the rest.
    This seems like a lot but I have never covered before, does anyone have any rough numbers from their covering? I am using the single layer of 3.4oz fabric.
    Hopefully I have more to add as I get the workshop set up and a heating source sorted and this time I am near to the ocean in a sea spray area so have an added incentive to get everything covered up and finished quickly.

Cheers

Andrew

DSC02670.jpg

DSC02666.jpg

Jean-luc likes this.
  2. May 16, 2018 #2

Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Supporting Member Supporting Member

On Polyfiber book ,you can find the list of all you need To cover and paint a Pitts S1

taff likes this.
  3. May 16, 2018 #3

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

I go along with this.
    The manual tells all about the covering process, including the stuff you forgot.
    Nice easy read and process to follow. and it's been updated from a few years ago.
    Isn't there someone in New Zealand or Australia importing Polyfiber products?

All the best with your return to aircraft construction.

4. May 16, 2018 #4

Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Jean-luc

Supporting Member Supporting Member

On Polyfiber book,what you need for a Pitts S1C
    70" wide fabric 25 yd
    Poly Tak 3 qt
    Polybrush 5 1/2 gal reduce 3:1
    Poly Spray 6 1/4 gal reduce 4:1
    R65-75 or RR 8500 Reducer 3 1/2 gal
    Finishing Tapes Rolls 1 x 1" , 5 x 2" ,1 x 3",1 x 4"
    Rib Lacing Cord roll 1
    Reinforcing Tape
    Polytone 5 1/2 gal
    R 65-75 or RR 8500 Reducer for Polytone 1 1/2 gal

5. May 16, 2018 #5

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

A lot depends on how slick a finish you want. Fill the weave and a bunch of sanding will use most of it. Spray just enough and minimum sanding will use less. Long boat ride more is better than less at the shipping prices.

6. May 16, 2018 #6

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I stopped thinning the polybrush after the initial brush in. I only thin it some if it's not spraying right.

7. May 16, 2018 #7

Morphewb

Morphewb

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Check the Youtube poster iapplyufly, she has a lot of covering videos that seem to be pretty helpful.

Jean-luc likes this.
  8. May 17, 2018 #8

Spike100

Spike100

Spike100

Hey thanks guys, sounds like I'm in for a big order. YES we have a couple of people getting the poly fiber stuff in it still comes by boat because its classed as dangerous goods was my last reply from them so was looking to get the order right first time, I'll get ahold of the manual and have been scouring YouTube, so order going in and onto the rest of the woodwork until it arrives. Thanks again. Andrew

9. May 17, 2018 #9

navybipe

navybipe

navybipe

if you use MEK for cleaning (perhaps there is something better), plan to buy a lot of that.

10. May 17, 2018 #10

taff

taff

taff

Senior Member Supporting Member

Nothing better for "Polly products"

11. May 17, 2018 #11

Kiwi

Kiwi

Kiwi

Registered Users

Andrew,

Many of us in New Zealand have given up and moved to Stewart Systems. It is airmailed to your door and if you order it in small volumes as you're going to use it you don't pay the GST (for now anyway!). You then don't have to deal with customs agents and drive to their depot to collect it and wait while they find it. Even a mate that "hates" Stewarts finds the lead times on Polyfiber too much to cope with so is using Stewarts for the next project.

The storage room is a lot less because a ships worth of product takes up a lot less room and you buy the thinners at the local supermarket.

If you're dead set on immersing yourself in a chemical bath or just get off on the fumes there is United Paints in Christchurch that make regular aircraft dope. Many people have used it and the product is well thought of. My personal dealings with United have been positive.

Where are you based?

Cheers,
    Andrew.

12. May 17, 2018 #12

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

I would go with local dope anytime over shipping Polyfiber in your situation. Stewarts would be smart too. That slow boat hazmat is probably equal to 1/2 the total cost.

13. May 18, 2018 #13

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member

Is it any savings for you to work with Western Airmotive in Australia? They may be the closest dealer.

14. May 18, 2018 #14

morristull

morristull

morristull

Andrew.
    I covered my Pitts S1S ZK-FRJ down in NZ in polyfibre and top coated it with Ranthane. I ordered as much as recommended in the Polyfibre book and had about right base products but they recommended way too much top coats and I painted my RV7 as well with what was left over.
    I got some great tips from the guys at Consolidated Coatings when at Oshkosh regarding the process. Double tapes with 4 inch and 2 inch over all ribs in the slipstream and tailplane came up good and should prevent paint cracking at the tapes.
    In NZ you need plenty of the UV so do not scrimp there.
    Private message me and I can help with much things Pitts related in New Zealand.
    Morris.

600.jpg

Kiwi likes this.
  15. May 19, 2018 at 8:44 AM #15

Spike100

Spike100

Spike100

A bit more research for me I will look into the Stewart system. I've got some more woodwork to complete and fuselage jobs so was going to make the Poly shipping time my deadline for getting those done, I might have to speed up airfreighting the Stewarts system :).
    Kiwi I'm based in Christchurch.