• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Covering Questins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido Lepore

Reaction score
On the subject of covering a Pitts......

Covering the wings, what is the layout for the fabric to go on? The roll is 70" wide. Do you do a top and bottom sheet the length of the wing with an overlap at the leading and trailing edge? Or do you wrap it around the leading edge and polytak at the trailing edge, but then how do you attach the next sheet of fabric because 70" is a few feet short of the length of the wing? When my Poly-fiber manual arrives will it have all the answers?

I noticed the EAA tips manual had single and double (twice around) stitching. I guess everyone does 1" stitching, anyone do double? Or does it depend on whether you are using a staggerwing knot or the modified seine (kimball's favorite).

Inspection rings on the bottom of the wings, one under each idler and bellcrank, and then what - under the intersection of the bracing wires? Anywhere else?

Latest posts

Back