• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Covering Skybolt Wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a Skybolt here in Ireland that had the fabric come off in flight, caused by a birdstrike. I do not have the expertise to recover the wings. There is damage to the upper wing. One rib, the leading edges were pulled off & distorted when the fabric departed the wing. They all have aluminium leading edges which need to be replaced. I am sending the wings to steenaero to evaluate what needs to be done to see if its viable to repair them and maybe replace the spars for the laminated ones.Steenaero do not cover the wings, and I am wondering if anybody has a recommendation of where to send them to be covered in Florida. Any idea of cost would be appreciated.. The aircraft is well known in the US, having featured in many magazines and was built by the late Dean Hall. N52DHI got a quotation for covering the wings for 18k just yesterday, if thats the going rate, I cannot afford nor justify rebuilding it. The salvage will be for sale.I would appreciate any advise, comments or input you experts have the time to give. Many thanks, Brian.
20111225_135251_skybolt_photo.JPG

Latest posts

Back