• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cowling fit with long engine mount

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisV

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed before, but I don't remember reading it.

SD2 under painfully slow construction. Have the "gaping maw" nose bowl (one big hole). Have the latest design long engine mount holding a standard deck (narrow deck) O360. The nose bowl is positioned quite precisely where it will be when the prop is on the engine. The longitudinal u-channels from the firewall to the nose-bowl are clamped in position.

It looks to me like when you put the sheet metal on the cowl, the valve covers on #1 and #2 will stick out too far.

Ideas that have been suggested by my friends and other kibbitzers include: 1) Widen the nose bowl. 2) Make little blisters in the cowl sheet metal to clear the valve covers. 3) Take a really big hammer and smash the valve covers down so they don't stick out so far. (OK, just kidding about that one. ;))

So, assuming I'm not the first person to encounter this issue, any thoughts? Is there a tried-and-true solution?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back