• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cowling Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtail

Reaction score
I'm working on the engine cowling for my S1C Pitts. I'm building it from Steen Aero Lab plans. On sheet 12A, for those who may have the Steen plans, it shows two channels at the bottom of the page. I know where the left hand channels with the cam lock receptacle's go and the prints clearly show this. But I don't know for sure where the right hand channels with the nut plates goes. I can not find anywhere in my plans set showing where these channels go. I called Steen Aero Lab and talked with the so called engineer on this project and he didn't know where these channels go either. I'm surmising, simply by the way they are dimensioned, that they go under the piano hinges on each side of the top cowl center section. This seems like sort of an odd design to me but I don't know. I do not have access to a finished Pitts to go and look at to verify this. Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a stiffening channel under each piano hinge of the top cowl.
Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back