Cp 750

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Neil, Mar 11, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Mar 11, 2018 #1

Neil

Neil

Neil

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

While going through some of the boxes of stuff from my shop fire a couple of years ago I found this copy of Homebuilt Aircraft, Oct. 1982 that had somehow survived. This is the magazine that put me onto the Sonerai that I built. There was however another design in the magazine that really captured my interest but I sort of put it on the back burner and then just forgot about it.

The Claude Piel CP 750. This particular one was, according to the article, built in New York state around 1978 by Mike Russell, then purchased by Charles Martin of Jerseyville, Illinois around 1982.

I was just curious if anyone on the forum knows or knew anything about it. The N number is de registered but last known location is Apex North Carolina.

Magazine.jpg

CP 750.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Mar 12, 2018 #2

swervin

swervin

swervin

Registered Users Supporting Member

There’s an article on the CP 750 in one of the IAC Trch Tips books.

3. Mar 12, 2018 #3

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

The Berl and Emarude are two of my favorites. I know of someone in California with a nice built wing for a Emarude and wood for a fuselage that could be had for a song.

4. Mar 12, 2018 #4

wzm

wzm

wzm

https://www.iac.org/files/technicaltipsmanualvol2_0.pdf is the Tech Tips you might be looking for.

3MR is in the NTSB database as having crashed in the 1980s. I've talked with Mike Russel on the phone before, he mentioned that the Beryl wing plans used to have the center section spacing of a CAP 10 or Emeraude, and he warned that if you made them exactly to plans, you would really come to regret it if you didn't double check that you were making wings that would fit your fuselage.

The CAP 10B, which supposedly has a related wing design, has had a history of spar failures. I'd try and get measurements of both before I treated a Beryl as an aerobatic plane, and I think a set of fir spars might not be a bad idea.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. Mar 12, 2018 #5

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

PittsDriver68

The CAP-10B issue was that the landing gear bolted to the main spar and it turned out that landing loads over time caused spar failures. Failure of the original engineer to anticipate all of the limit load conditions. The solution was/is to install the carbon fiber wing of the CAP-10C.

Which was not as big a problem as the CAP-23x's had. One wing broke away from the fuselage during unlimited acro, killing the pilot. Big structural upgrade required of all of the ships after that. Mike Goulian was flying one and he retired it, switching back to an Extra. I think his old CAP is hanging in the lobby at Hartzell or at one of his other sponsors.

Best of luck,

Wes

6. Mar 12, 2018 #6

Neil

Neil

Neil

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for all the response. I was aware of the Cap 10 spar issues and the IAC tech tips article is a good read.

7. Mar 12, 2018 #7

tenns

tenns

tenns

I am also a fan of the Beryl. Bought plans many years ago and am slowly working on redesigning the aircraft to be easier to build, lighter, with better aerobatic performance.

Changes planned are: straight taper on the wing, omit flaps, aerodynamically boosted ailerons, wire braced tail (with airfoil CF skins similar to Wolf Pitts), spring gear (to avoid previously mentioned wing issues), wing incidence change. A lot of these mods were done on Mike Russell's example.

FYI...I am a long time lurker on this forum. I have 300hrs TW time and just had my first aerobatic lesson in Super D. Also have had some time in a Pitts S-2A and Giles 202.

Tom

WING, ASSY.jpg

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Neil likes this.