• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

CS vs Fixed Pitch Power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aobt14

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
So.....

Still have a million questions, but went for my first flight in a Skybolt today and absolutely loved it. I'm hooked, gotta have one! The airplane I flew today had a 190 hp IO-360 and a fixed pitch prop. With two adults totaling around 430 lbs and a full tank of gas we climbed around 1000 fpm, better than I expected. In the end, will I get bored with the fixed-pitch 360 and wish I had stepped up to the 540 or a 360 with a CS prop, or is the FP still a great performing airplane that will satisfy most wishes, to include formation flying? I am not looking to spend 50K on a biplane, so would looking at the cheaper and lighter acrosports be a viable option as well? I plan on flying two up a good percentage of the time, and the range of the Skybolt is attractive. When winter comes around, what is the typical cost to install a canopy if I already have the glass?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back