• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Cutting sheet aluminum without a shear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I would post a little tip for those money conscience builders (who isn't money conscience right) really its for those who dont have big sheet metal tools available. Lately I have needed to cut some leading edge material for some ailerons that are 60+ inches long. I dont have a shear available to me that cuts more than 36" so I got a tip on using Olfa 800 tungsten blade cutter/scorer knife to score the aluminum the break it over an edge. I got this tip online but thought I would post my results here for the fine folks of the biplane forum. In the first picture I have used my straight edge to hold my line and two clamps on each side. The middle piece of wood keeps the straight edge from flexing in the middle. I then make 5-6 passes with my Olfa knife making a rather deep score. It actually curls up cutting the aluminum. It could probably cut through with enough passes but you can just break the rest off. This particular piece is 0.025 2024-T3 sheet at 6 ft long.

The olfa knife blades will last a long time on aluminum sheet and the knife came with 3 extra blades. The knife only cost $12 on amazon.

1421619246128.jpg

1421619258838.jpg

1421619271201.jpg

1421619282331.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back