• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Dan Clarks Old Pitts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S1-X

Reaction score
Hi Guys, thought I should put my hand up and say hi.
October last year Itook delivery ofDan Clark's old Pitts N396DC (US Aerobatic Team),after havingit shipped to Melbourne Australia.
Realisticly, I bought a project. To use someone else's expression to describe these things, "It's seen a lota lovin' ", and I don't mean that in a nice way. :)
Anyway, when I'm finished cleaning it up it's going to be awsome! (At least I think so :) )
It's still running the A1E engine however it's now fixed pitch. Dan Sold it with a CSP so I guess someone couldn't afford to replace it after the prop strike. (Log book entry) Will look into my options later down the track.
This machine has had some great mods done to it, too many to list here and some of them I need to check with the drawings and a tape measure to see if I've got them all. It's described as an S1T however it's past that so I call it an S1-X, hence the user name.
So 9 months later where am I at? After disasembling it from cockpit forward to an airframe and an engine, firewall forward is nearly finished, just needs wiring up and cables.
Rear of the firewall I've just painted the airframe this week however I've already made a lot of the sub assemblies and all the sheet metal ready to just bolt on. Plumb it and wire it, job done. Then it's time to turn my attention to the tail end and wings. The 90/90 rule is very appropriate here. :)

A few weeks ago a friend told me about this forum so here I am, great site.Already put up a couple of posts to help a couple of guys out, at least I thinkI did. :) It's a huge help when you can share knowledge. Well done to those behind the scenes.
I would like to add some pics of my progress if anyone is interested. Where's an appropriate place to put them?
Anyone have any pictures of this aeroplane anywhere? The only pic I could find after hours of searching is the one I've posted here.
Keep up the good work guys!
S1-X :)
20090814_123837_Super_S1T-7.jpg

PS Chuck if your on this forum, you still haven't cancelled the registration!

Latest posts

Back