• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Delta Hardware - Centre Section Fittings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was asked by a forum member about the hardware for the centre section. At the time I was away from home and couldn't remember anything significant but when I got back I went and had a look and remembered some of the challenges. So here is an overview of how I did the hardware as this is not called out in the plans. Bolt hole sizes are, not lengths. Here is what I did.

Picture 1. This is an overview of the whole side of the fitting, Front Spar to Rear Spar, but the centre section is upside down. It is as per plans, though not all of the ply is fitted obviously.

My approach with the bolts was to have all the heads towards the front, with one exception which was to reverse one of the plate bolts and have a drilled head in that bolt and in each of the bolts that screws into the end of the compression strut. I did this so that I can safety wire the heads.

Picture 2 shoes the rear spar fitting again upside down.The yellow stain is some leaking linseed oil. The tabs here will hold the landing wire but will run out through the ribs front and back of the spar. I haven't cut them yet so that I get the angle right when rigged.

Picture 3 is the front fitting from the front. All bolt heads at front. A lesson for me in this picture was not to follow the plans for the holes that are holding the nose rib on. I followed the plan dimensions of the first one and found the bolt/heads clashed with the bolt heads running through the spars. I would recommend drilling and fitting those ribs after the fitting is attached and just locating in a space that gives you enough room to move around and get spanners/sockets on.

Picture 4 shows how I intend to safety wire the bolt head on the compression strut

Nothing special in terms of bolts or nut fitting accessories here, just normal good bolt practice. eg larger washers against timber, nylock nuts etc.

One other lesson.... the nail strip for the leading edge is a bit of a custom job. The plans show the mail strip to end at the start of the metal fitting. I figured it is better to extend the timber over the bracket so that you can glue to edge to it to complete the straight line the full length of the centre section. See picture 3.

PS Excuse the quality of my painting. This was attempt number one of Stewart Systems. Since then I have had a few other goes and am now set up to paint well...or at least better than this attempt. :eek:

Overview.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

Safety wire.jpg

Latest posts

Back